Readers and friends: This summer, I’m participating in the Clarion West Write-a-thon, and I would love your support. Clarion West is a nonprofit organization that focuses on providing some of the best speculative fiction workshops in the galaxy. It’s run by volunteers and a small, hardworking paid staff, and it depends on the support of the community.
The Write-a-thon is an annual fundraiser that helps support world-class instruction to empower emerging and underrepresented writers. It’s basically a walk-a-thon with words, six weeks of writing to help raise money to sustain Clarion West’s efforts. Here are some of the things that funds raised will go towards:
- Providing scholarships for BIPOC, LGBTQ+, disabled, and other underrepresented writers in science fiction, fantasy, and horror;
- Providing accessible classrooms and facilities for all of Clarion West’s programs;
- Providing free public panels for writers;
- Paying for world-class instructors year-round; and
- Creating paid staff positions with health benefits.
I attended the six-week summer workshop in 2012 and it was life changing, both professionally and personally. THE MEMORY COLLECTORS was conceived there. I met some of the most wonderful people I know through my connection to the Clarion West community—people who have become my mentors, peers, and friends. I’ve participated in the Write-a-thon every year since, not only because I want to help other writers access the same rich experiences, but also because it helps me sustain my writing spirit.
This year, I hope to write one page every day for six weeks. One page isn’t much, but it represents a lot to me. I have been struggling, post-book launch, to get back to a regular daily writing practice. I hope the Write-a-thon will help me gain momentum on my second novel.
A sponsorship in any amount helps to support my goals and the Clarion West writer’s workshop. But to sweeten the deal, I’m offering some incentives!
- $5 and up: I will mail you a personalized thank you card and a paper crane folded by yours truly
- $20 and up: Thank you card, paper crane, and a custom signed bookplate for THE MEMORY COLLECTORS (up to 10 sponsors)
- $30 and up: Thank you card, paper crane, and a signed copy of THE MEMORY COLLECTORS (up to 5 sponsors)
If you’d like to sponsor me, please visit my Write-a-thon page here. It takes only a few minutes to donate, and it makes all the difference in the world to both me and Clarion West.